Active addiction is a disease that affects the whole family. Family Recovery Solutions Of Florida believes in giving you as many opportunities as possible to help you better emotionally accept to cope with, your loved one’s struggles with overcoming addiction.
If you feel as if addiction has negatively affected you, isolating you from the outside world, you are not alone. Face-to-face connection is a powerful tool. During recovery and through our seminars, workshops and counseling options, we hope to provide you and your family with the solutions and answers that you have been seeking to stop the dysfunctional codependent behaviors in dealing with your loved one’s drinking and the cycle of drug abuse.
The more that you can understand about the disease and the various behaviors associated with active addition, the more powerful personal healing can be. Below is a list of helpful resources and reading material that will aid your recovery journey and involvement with the insanity and chaos of a loved one in active alcohol abuse and addiction.
LITERATURE ON FAMILY RECOVERY
- The Language of Letting Go (Melody Beattie)
- Codependent No More (Melody Beattie)
- Beyond Codependency (Melody Beattie)
- Codependents’ Guide to the Twelve Steps (Melody Beattie)
- Straight Talk from Claudia Black: What Recovering Parents Should Tell Their Kids about Drugs and Alcohol (Claudia Black)
- Setting Boundaries with Your Adult Children: Six Steps to Hope and Healing for Struggling Parents (Allison Bottke)
- The Alcoholic Family in Recovery: A Developmental Model (Stephanie Brown and Virginia Lewis)
- A Gentle Path Through the Twelve Steps (Patrick Carnes)
- Codependence and the Power of Detachment: How to Set Boundaries and Make Your Life Your Own (Karen Casey)
- Boundaries: When to Say Yes, How to Say No to Take Control of Your Life (Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend)
- Boundaries in Marriage (Dr. Henry Cloud and Dr. John Townsend)
- Addict in the Family (Beverly Conyers)
- Everything Changes: Help for Families of Newly Recovering Addicts (Beverly Conyers)
- Facing Shame: Families in Recovery (Merle A. Fossum and Marilyn J. Mason)
- Recovery: A Guide for Adult Children of Alcoholics (Herbert L. Gravitz and Julie D. Bowden)
- Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love (Dr. Sue Johnson)
- The Dance of Intimacy (Harriet Lerner, Ph.D.)
- Chalk Talks on Alcohol (Father Joseph C. Martin)
- Addiction & Grace: Love and Spirituality in the Healing of Addictions (Gerald G. May, M.D.)
- Facing Codependence: What It Is, Where It Comes From, How It Sabotages Our Lives (Pia Mellody)
- The Intimacy Factor: The Ground Rules for Overcoming the Obstacles to Truth, Respect, and Lasting Love (Pia Mellody)
- Facing Love Addiction: Giving Yourself the Power to Change the Way You Love (Pia Mellody, Andrea Wells Miller, and J. Keith Miller)
- Breaking Free: A Recovery Workbook for Facing Codependence (Pia Mellody and Andrea Wells Miller)
- The Enabler: When Helping Hurts the One You Love (Angelyn Miller)
- Family Recovery: Growing Beyond Addiction (Merlene Miller and Terence T. Gorski)
- The Addictive Personality: Understanding the Addictive Process and Compulsive Behavior (Craig Nakken)
- Reclaim Your Family from Addiction: How Couples and Families Recover Love and Meaning (Craig Nakken)
- Don’t Let Your Kids Kill You (Charles Rubin)
- Addictive Thinking: Understanding Self-Deception (Abraham J. Twerski, M.D.)
WEB RESOURCES FOR FAMILIES
www.al-anon.com / www.alateen.org – Known as Al-Anon Family Groups. An international “fellowship of relatives and friends of alcoholics who share their experience, strength, and hope in order to solve their common problems.”
www.nar-anon.org – Help for family and friends of someone with drug addiction.
www.coda.org – A fellowship whose common purpose is to develop healthy relationships.
www.recovering-couples.org – Support and resources for couples in addiction recovery.
www.adultchildren.org – Support and resources for adult children of alcoholics.
www.familiesanonymous.org – Help for families of loved ones with the disease of addiction.
www.celebraterecovery.com – Celebrate Recovery is a program designed to help those struggling with hurts, hang-ups, and habits by showing them the loving power of Jesus Christ through the recovery process.